Introduction: Long ago, people used to perform folk songs and drama in various cultures. It was then that media was first used to communicate messages to a wider group of people. Print media followed and then mass media and social media.
Media refers to various means of communication. It also refers to communication devices. Communication devices are used to interact and communicate among people.
The most common forms of media today are radio, internet, newspaper and television. Media is an important part of our lives. It is also two-sided meaning that it has a positive side and a negative one.
1. It educates people. Through television and radio programs, people get to learn about health matters, environmental conservation, and much more.
2. People get the latest news in a very short time. Distance is not a barrier. People get news daily through the media and this keeps them updated on the happenings around the world.
3. People get to bring out their hidden talents. Through media showcase their talents such as comedy, acting and singing.
4. Children’s knowledge increases. Children can learn from quiz programs, animal programs and so on.
5. Radio is convenient as people do get short news and with a mobile phone one can access it.
6. Great in promoting mass consumer products. This can in turn increase sales of the product.
7. Serves as a good source of entertainment. People get entertained through music and television programs.
8. Television allows electronic duplication of information. This reduces the production cost making mass education possible.
9. Media leads to diffusion of different cultures. Media showcases different cultural practices.
10. It helps people around the world to understand each other and embrace their differences.
1. It leads to individualism. People spend too much time on the internet and watching television. As a result, socialization with friends, family and neighbors is affected.
2. Some media contents are not suitable for children. Limiting children’s access to such content can be difficult.
3. Newspaper is geographically selective.
4. Increase in advertisements in television and radio is making them less attractive.
5. Internet as a form of media opens up possibilities of imposters, fraud and hacking.
6. Media can be addictive, e.g. some television programs and internet. This can lead to decrease in people’s productivity.
7. Health problems. Prolonged watching of television can lead to eyesight problems and radio listening using earphones exposes one to possible hearing defects.
8. It glamorize drugs and alcohol. Some programs make the use of these things appear cool’.
9. It can lead to personal injury. Some people decide to follow the stunts that are showcased in the media. This can lead to injuries.
10. It can lead to ruin of reputation. It is possible for one to create an anonymous account. Such accounts can be used to for malicious reasons such as spreading rumors. This can lead to ruin of reputation of an individual or a company.
Although media has many advantages it also has its limits. It is up to us, the users, to decide to use it wisely for the best impact.
Written by: ejulia
Mass Media Essay/Composition:
Introduction: Present age is called the age of information. And mass media are the powerful and the most effective instruments of spreading or sharing information. With the advancement of digital technology, mass media have become a powerful. And it is the most influential source of various news, views, ideas and opinion. Mass media also helps making information available anywhere in the world.
Definition of mass media: The means of communicating news and information is termed as mass media. Mass media is classified in two categories. one is print media and another is electronic media. Print media include newspaper, magazines, journals and other printed materials. while electronic media included radio, television, satellite channels, internet, cinema etc.
Importance of mass media: Media is called the public forum or people’s parliament. Media play the role of bridge between government and general people in times of different national need. Media do not simply provide people with information, news and ideas but also raise various issue on socio-econo-political matters. They also form consciousness and public opinions in different problems and issues. People express their opinions through media. Various formats of programmes like talk show, street show, documentary, live reporting, video articles, editorials on different local and global issues are broadcast and published. Media keeps us dated about what is happening around the world. Media focus on various social evils, political or economic crisis and guide people through them. Today right to information is recognized as one of of the fundamental rights of people and media ensure this right.
Influence of mass media: In today’s world of globalization, the impact and influence of mass media is more than ever and all pervasive. Media affect the influence almost all aspects of our life. Mass media have profound influence on people’s thinking, sentiment, sensibilities and their mode of reactions. Thus media can direct people to both constructive and destructive purposes. If the power of media is used positively it can do good to society and a country. But if the power in mishandled or misused for any vested-interest by any quarter or by nay propaganda party then it can causes great harm, anarchy and confusion in society and in state. Media are so influential and powerful that people instantly believe what they hear or watch on media. That is why famous Canadian theorist and media critic Marshall Macluhan said that “Media is the message”
Conclusion: Mass media play an important role in today’s world of communication and information. It is up to us to draw benefit or harm from media to evaluate and judge the message of media.We need to be careful about dealing with mass media. Considering the far-reaching influence, concerned authorities should use them for the greater benefit of mankind.